topbella

Saturday 3 September 2011

Home


What I need is a little home
Where friends and family can be at home.
A peaceful place for sound sleep
A dining space for friends indeed
For coffee rounds and small treats
On a green patch where birds can chirp
A quiet room for mother’s retreat
That is a home for us all, I dream.
Nothing more and nothing big.

For others around thus I dream
What I need is a little treat
A bath tub of two by six feet
Where words and vision can easily mix
Where I can spread my legs with leisure
For relaxing, ruminating and wondering aloud
While watching intently bubbles around
I crave to run away far on wild clouds.

Stratosphere and lithosphere
May hover around and quietly merge
With my solo journey without fear.


For a tethered man’s small dream
My little desire my wife concedes
In a house of three beds and dining hall
This little request is not very tall.

Friends insist build a beautiful house
Impressive, enjoyable to house dreams.
They measure me and size of the land
Unfolding their worldly thoughts.
How many rooms and baths
Size of dining hall and front yard?
What materials from where to find?

What materials are you using?
No, no Kota stone!
If not granite, then
Makrana Marble is a must.
No stone frames nor iron ones
As trendy values they bust or rust!
Italian marble if you can
For your master bedroom, dear friend,
They suggest with great zest
For a man to have a nice rest!


Big slabs not small crumbs
Bhilwara bricks not cheap ones
Cement Shri or JK is fine
Big units. Almost divine.

No section window, never at all.
We must have seasoned wood.
No acacia, nor sesame or sal.
Just teak from MP or Assam
Not Nigerian or Nepal.
Teak for doors and window large
Letting sun, moon and wind barge in.

They spread their vision
In my drawing room and dining hall.
Their global flights, my local frights.

Not a Gandhi house for EWS.
You have earned enough
To build a decent and durable house.
There isn’t going to be another house
In this life, they gravely say.
It is going to be one for ever
Wise friends remind me at last.
Alas!

I think for ever, what I know
And feel deep.
The house for me is never so big
With wood, glass, cement or marble.
No bath no kitchen
No dining and drawing room.
No reading room, nor sofa set
No fancy light nor air conditioners.
It is going to be minimal, raw and simple
Prime primitive and pure plan.

A two feet by five by six feet
Covered by earthen pots not by bricks
Thatched roof with straws and mud.
At most they may leave behind
A one feet long irregular stone
Scribed in charcoal with abandonment:
Here lies the 'Unknown'
Date of birth, not known
Place of birth, desert west
Died this morning
Wishing to be alone.
God, bless him! Amen.


M Hasan
Sri Ganganagar, April 9, 2000 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Mohammad Hasan
Born in a small desert town in Rajasthan, India, for education and teaching, lived in the USA, Britain, Kenya and traveled in Europe, North America and Africa. PhD in geography from Syracuse University. As a social activist, concerned about natural environment, community resources, social peace and harmony. Served as faculty in the universities of Jodhpur (now Jainarain Vyas University, JNVU), Nairobi and HCM Rajasthan State Institute of Public Administration, Jaipur and member, Aligarh Univeristy Academic Council and Board of Studies (Geography Department). Currently President IRADA Society and Member, Rajiv Gandhi Socila Security Mission, Rajasthan State. Columnist and social commentator.
View my complete profile