topbella

Saturday 3 September 2011

UHURU BEREAVED



I may be black
Not my deeds and thoughts
Pink is my flesh and ruby my blood
Teeth my pearls forest my robes
When beasts were my friends
I never sobbed
Lakes our aprons
Pelicans were wings
Elephants our force
Rivers our dance
We sang with birds
Roared with lions
We ran with golden deer’s
Danced with peacocks
Diamonds in my mother’s womb
You all have robbed.

The Nile was my journey
Mt. Kilimanjaro my crown head
I didn’t leave my home 
You stole me by force
From the lap of my mom
And hands of my father
Without any thoughts of remorse
In ropes and scaffolds.

My home wasn’t dark
White and Brown
You all made it dark
Indeed, very dark.

M Hasan
Jaipur January 6, 2008

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Mohammad Hasan
Born in a small desert town in Rajasthan, India, for education and teaching, lived in the USA, Britain, Kenya and traveled in Europe, North America and Africa. PhD in geography from Syracuse University. As a social activist, concerned about natural environment, community resources, social peace and harmony. Served as faculty in the universities of Jodhpur (now Jainarain Vyas University, JNVU), Nairobi and HCM Rajasthan State Institute of Public Administration, Jaipur and member, Aligarh Univeristy Academic Council and Board of Studies (Geography Department). Currently President IRADA Society and Member, Rajiv Gandhi Socila Security Mission, Rajasthan State. Columnist and social commentator.
View my complete profile